Civil Process Service & Support

We have served thousands of civil court actions since 2009 and we understand the importance proper civil process service plays in the outcome of your case.

Filing a Civil Action in Minnesota

If you decide that you want to file a civil action against someone, you have the right to hire an attorney. If you decide to sue someone without an attorney, then you are considered pro se. If you don’t already have an attorney it would be wise/strongly advisable to consider locating a lawyer through the MN Bar Association – Find a lawyer.

The civil court will expect you to know and follow proper court procedure during the life of your case. Step one is to file the summons and Complaint with the court. This marks the formal start of your case.

Filing a court action requires a payment to the court clerk. Check with the court clerk about filing fees. Different types of civil law actions carry different filing fees. The court clerk will file stamp your documents. Make sure that you take extra copies of the summons and Complaint for file stamping.

A civil action can involve any or all of the following:

(1) Money is owed (2) An injury to a person (3) Property damage (4) Property recovery (5) Someone believes their civil rights were violated (6) Employer/employee issues (7) Any action that couldn’t be heard in criminal court.

Definition of Lawsuit
Definition of Lawsuit

Serving the Respondent

Once the case is filed and the hearing date is set, you will need to “effectuate service” on the person being sued. That is the Respondent to the action. They have the legal right to respond to the claims. Serving can be done in a variety of ways. Minnesota law determines how service must be performed.

For instance, if you filed for divorce you cannot personally serve the Respondent. You have the option to use a private process server to find and serve the Respondent. There are two main benefits of choosing to use a private process server. First, a private process server knows the laws about service in detail.

If service is not properly performed, it can bring your case to a dead stop.

Court Deadlines

Depending on the civil action, there may be deadlines for discovery, pleadings, and motions. The court can issue orders that list deadlines. It is important that those deadlines are followed. Twin Cities Served guarantees on time service of process.

The Hearing

When the hearing date arrives, both parties and possibly witnesses will arrive to have the matter heard by the Judge. It is important that you dress appropriately for court. The Judge will take testimony and review any evidence that was submitted during the discovery process.


Adjudication means judgment. The Judge will issue a decision about the case. Once this is done, the case is generally over. Many people do exercise Many people do exercise a right to appeal. However, it is important to note that just because a party has lost a case does not automatically give them an appeal.

Speak to an Attorney

If you want to start a civil action or if you have been served, you should talk with an attorney about your legal rights and options. Only attorneys can give you legal advice. Do not rely on the opinions of others who tell you that they were in a similar law suit. While two causes of action may be the same, the facts are not. Attorneys know and understand the law.